Some of the following are some astute observations and personal experience that I feel defines some of what a runner is…on a lighter but fairly true note!! You know you’re a runner when…
- your first thought when you look at the weekly weather forecast is, “When can I fit in my runs?” and what do I need to wear!
- you have more running clothes than regular clothes when you do the washing!!
- you’ve lost a toenail (I just lost my first one over Christmas) and ya know it’s not that bad.
- you smirk when non-runners ask you, “So how long is this marathon?”
- you spend more time researching running routes than local restaurants when traveling to a new city.
- you know where exactlyone mile from your front door is (in any direction).
- you know how to correctly spell and pronounce plantar fasciitis.
- you own more pairs of running socks than dress socks.
you have more fun shopping for running clothes than you do non-running clothes
- when you hear PR, you automatically think “personal record”, not “public relations”.
- you pack more running clothes than bathing suits when going on a beach vacation.
- you have running clothes and an extra pair of running shoes in your car, “just in case.”
Here some more ones:
- your holiday wish list can be fulfilled at any running or sporting goods store.
- one of the first things people ask you when they haven’t seen you in a while is, “What race are you training for now?”
- you have several drawers dedicated to running shirts.
- you always have your next race on the calendar.
- your runs are sometimes longer than your commute to work or school.
- you have a wall filled with medals and other race souvenirs that you’re not sure what to do with.
- you no longer make fun of fanny packs because your waist running belt looks very similar (although cooler) to one. And fanny pack is still a veeeerrrry humorous word!!
- you have a line in your budget for “race entry fees/race travel”.
- you’ve used an old race T-shirt to wash your car, dust furniture, or clean something else.
- your treadmill (if ya have one) has more miles on it than your car.
- you get an invitation to a wedding and you automatically think about what race the date will conflict with.
- you have dreams about showing up to a race late or not wearing any clothes.
- you’re not embarrassed to wear spandex and pretty much half nothing…for aerodynamic purposes!!
- the salespeople at your local running shop know you by name.
- you’re always hungry:)
- you know how to take a cup of water from a water stop without choking on it or spilling it all over yourself. (ah its an art!! that comes with ALOT of practice)
- at least one of your web site usernames or email addresses has the word “run” or “runner” in it.
- you know where your iliotibial band is located
- you no longer hate port-a-loo’s In fact, there have been times when you’ve been very happy to see one.
Hope that gave ye a laugh and you could relate!!
happy running 🙂